Queenie Stuck Up Palm The Legendary Room Eight
It Takes A Village ...

December 4, 1945
Kitten Up Tree Stumps Town

Los Angeles Times
Queenie, pet of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Brighton, appears on a 60-foot palm tree opposite their home at 3109 Garden Avenue after being missing for six nights. Queenie is found by Don Brighton and their family dog Punkin. When Queenie refuses to come down, they contact "the Fire Department, the City Humane Department, and the S.P.C.A." "A Fire Department, the City Humane Department official explained that [this] equipment could not be employed to rescue animals." kitten’s health is weaker and her meows grow louder, so Mrs. Brighton requests Queenie be killed to spare her further suffering. City Humane Department Officer, Tom Sullivan, is reluctant and recommends a commercial tree-trimmer, but the family cannot afford to hire one. Finally, Queenie comes down on her own after six days. She is safe and fed as Don Brighton admits to tossing her meatballs during the ordeal.

November 20, 1946
Cat and Kittens Named MAdison 2, 3, 4, and 5

Los Angeles Times
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Barber, of 717 Bonita Drive of South Pasadena search for a new mother for their four hungry Siamese orphans after their pedigreed Geisha dies during the Caesarean delivery. Many "felineophiles" try unsuccessfully to provide a surrogate, and "the new mamma, of undoubted Calico ancestry, was donated by Bertie Johnson, of Poppypeak Rd. Pasadena; Barber has named their [new] cat MAdison (ma, for short!) and the kittens he dials--uh--calls 2,3,4, and 5."

March 31, 1947
Kittens Pawns in Battle of Motherhood

Los Angeles Times
Mitzi, a fox terrier, loses her litter of puppies at birth but finds a new litter in Sylvia Potterelo's backyard at 15113 Sherman Way. Mitzi chooses to take care of four of Arabella's six kittens. Mitzi sleeps with the kittens but "While packing away the kittens, Arabella retaliated by abducting two of her own kittens." Aware of the two kittens' disappearance, Mitzi is very careful with the rest, and Arabella continues to try to take back her kittens.

March 11, 1951
Despondent Persian Tries Suicide

San Francisco Chronicle
A gray tabby of Persian ancestry tries to jump off the San Francisco Bay Bridge on March 10, 1951. An observant motorist rushes to the California Highway Patrol quarters at the toll plaza to warn them. Officer Martin (Mike) Mulligan investigates to find a gray tabby on the upper deck, just east of the tunnel. Mulligan implores but the tabby ignores him, looks down at the 200 foot jump, jumps off, and appears again swimming below the bridge. "Mulligan pushed his hat a little to one side and said: ‘Eight to go.’"

Room Eight

Room Eight joins Elysian Heights Elementary School as a thin cat in need of attention and finds a loving home in 1952. He lives at the school from September through June for over fifteen years. Each year Room Eight’s relationship with the school ends just as the students’ did—he leaves on the last day in June, heading for Elysian Park, and arrives on the first day of school each September. His punctuality is legendary as he attracts much media attention. He is featured in Time and Look magazines as well as covered by the local news. Room Eight also receives thousands of fan letters and has books written about him. The school’s principal uses Room Eight to teach respect for other creatures and gives the feline full reign of the school. No student may touch Room Eight unless he touches the student first. Those who know Room Eight still speak of his influence on their lives and public art at the school illustrates his power with testimonies and paw prints marked into the cement.

Cover next